Regional Museum of Archaeology and History

Vise Musée régional d
The Regional Museum of Archaeology and History provides information about the world wars and the city of Visé, the first martyred city of the Great War. We can dive into the lives of the inhabitants, life in the trenches, and the occupation of the Germans.

A testimony to the history of Visé

The Regional Museum of Archaeology and History is located in a former convent of the Sépulcrines. The convent was rebuilt in the style of the Mosan Renaissance after the 14-18 war.

Today, it is a general museum that presents collections related to the heritage of the Lower Meuse region of Liège. It mainly deals with the history of Visé, its architectural evolution, its daily life, its know-how, etc. Visé was greatly affected by the first world conflict, representing the first martyred city of the Great War. Therefore, particular attention is paid to this period in the museum. Several objects bear witness to critical periods: the arrival of the Germans and their occupation, daily life during the First World War, life in the trenches, the burning of the city, and the liberation of the region by the American troops of the 30th Division in 1944.

Discovering history through tours

Set up by the Royal Archaeological-Historical Society of Visé, there’s a tour for groups entitled “14-18: discovering the Great War in the north of Liege”. It tells the story of the tragedy of Visé from August 4, 1914, until the reconstruction of the city. The Memorial Route explains the arrival of the German troops, the resistance of the Belgian soldiers, and the daily life in Visé during the four years of war.

The Memorial Route is a 120 km bus tour, with stops and visits and the viewing of a documentary. Among the emblematic locations of the circuit, there is the cemetery of Rabosée, where 500 Belgian soldiers resisted the attack of two German regiments composed of 6,000 men, from the night of August 5 to 6. Next is Fort Barchon, one of the twelve forts built by General Brialmont around Liège. On August 8, 1914, it was the first to succumb to the German assault. And finally, Fort Loncin, which fell on August 15, 1914, due to the explosion of one of its two powder magazines, leaving 250 soldiers buried under the fort.

The museum also offers a memorial tour which can be done alone, with the family, or in groups. This tour can be done on foot thanks to 18 panels placed in the city center of Visé. During the tour, fictitious witnesses tell the story of Visé: The fire The German occupation The deportation The post-war period The reconstruction of the town You can really get a sense of what really happened in this small village on the Meuse.

Ready to live the experience?

Useful information

Address
Rue du Collège, 31
4600 Visé
Country Belgium
Telephone 00 32 (0)4 92 16 66 89
Back to all sites